Don’t skip out on the Easter Egg hunt this year, because those babies are an essential part of a healthy diet. In the past, eggs got a bit of a raw deal—and we’re not talking about getting whipped or cracked. Eggs were at one time thought to raise LDL cholesterol levels, but research has in fact proven their incredible health benefits instead. Our weight loss physician gives them a thumbs-up as a part of a healthy, low-carb diet.
Read on for five reasons why eggs truly rock.
1. They satiate our appetites. Eggs contain high levels of protein, which helps fill us up for longer periods of time than other foods and staves off those diet-busting cravings. Their whites are a low-fat, low-calorie source of protein and considered one of the best due to their high levels of amino acids. Research finds that eggs are more satisfying than carbs, which according to our weight loss physician, make them an ideal food for weight loss.
2. The nutrients in eggs promote healthy nails, shiny hair and glowing skin. Eggs are loaded with sulfur, which boosts our system with everything from vitamin B absorption and liver function to collagen and keratin production, which results in healthier hair, skin and nails.
3. Eating eggs make us feel happier. Eggs are rich in the B-complex vitamin choline, found in the yoplk, which transforms into bethane in our bodies to help produce hormones that elevate our moods, such as serotonin, norephinephrine and dopamine.
4. They promote healthy peepers. Eggs are packed with two antioxidants, lutein and zeaxanthin, that promote eye health, stave off macular degeneration and help prevent the loss of eyesight.
5. Eggs may reduce your risk of cancer. Studied have found that choline, the B-complex vitamin mentioned above, may reduce the risk of breast cancer.