If you’re like the rest of the country, you’re probably making losing weight a resolution this year. If that’s the case, our medical weight loss doctor is offering some suggestions to help you refine your diet resolutions so that you can achieve your goal for 2015.
1. Track it. Research shows that those who keep a food diary have an easier time achieving their weight loss goals. Be detailed—at least in the very beginning—and include the things we often don’t consider, such as condiments and drinks. This will help you see where you can easily make changes and help you create more mindful eating habits overall. Logging your intake also helps you identify your consumption patterns and triggers so you can make better choices.
2. Start your day right. Enjoy a healthy breakfast every day—it’s the worst meal to skip (not that you should skip any). You need a protein- and fiber-rich breakfast to give your energy, fill you up and jumpstart your metabolism. Research shows that those who skip breakfast tend to overeat later in the day as a result.
3. Make it easy to move it. Find a fun exercise class, get a workout buddy or schedule walks throughout the day to increase your physical activity levels. Buy yourself some fitted, nice looking workout clothes to give you extra motivation.
4. Swap dessert for fruit. Better yet, think of fruit as your dessert. The best choice you can make to satisfy your sweet tooth is with fruit. Opt for fiber-rich berries, bananas, apples, pears, kiwi—whatever fruit floats your boat.
5. Start on a Monday. Much research shows that diets that start on Mondays tend to be most successful. Take advantage of each fresh start and don’t beat yourself up when you have a bad day or week.
Click here to discover the benefits of working with a medical weight loss doctor.