How are your resolutions going? Whether you’ve been working with a weight loss doctor or on your own, dieting can be tough. To achieve the results you want—and keep them for the long term—you need to overhaul your lifestyle and make good decisions on a daily basis. Diets and weight management programs aren’t magical, it takes motivation and discipline to reach your goals in a healthy way.
Instead of looking for a quick fix, try to affect some of the strategies below over a reasonable time period. These tips, coupled with positivity and patience, will help you transform your lifestyle and your waistline.
1. Take before and after photos. This strategy is extremely motivating.
2. Set small goals. Instead of thinking about your ultimate weight loss goal, like losing 30 pounds, break it down into small, more manageable objectives. Focus on losing the next two to five pounds and you won’t be so overwhelmed.
3. Find a source of support. Whether its meeting others who follow the same diets or weight management programs or working out with a friend, support will make the process easier for you overall. It will also add a level of accountability that can be very motivating.
4. Have a visual motivator. Buy a new outfit as a reward for your hard work and hang it somewhere you can see it as a visual reminder.
5. Be gentle with yourself. Don’t beat yourself up when you slip up on your diet or miss a workout. Be compassionate with yourself and just get right back on the horse.
6. Log your workouts. Track your exercise routine—this will give you an instant feeling of accomplishment. Write it down in a journal old school style or get one of the myriad fitness apps such as MyFitnessPal.
7. Switch up your workouts. Don’t do the same exercise routine every single day—it’s a straight path to a plateau. Mix it up—go for a run one day, hit the gym the next, and take a flexibility training class on another day. Make sure to incorporate some strength training.
Click through to learn about working with a weight loss doctor.