When you’re striving to lose weight and achieve better health through nutrition, it’s critical to make good choices about what you eat. Our weight loss physician recommends a low carb diet with lots of lean protein—and chicken is an ideal source. Read on to learn about five of the important health benefits you can reap from eating chicken.
1. Chicken is a complete protein. Chicken is one of the few foods that contains all of the nine essential amino acids our body needs to function properly. Our weight loss physician suggests that clients eat a diet rich in lean protein because it helps us build lean muscle mass, which supports a healthy body weight and increases the number of calories we burn every day. Protein also helps promote healthy bones and will help seniors fight against bone loss.
2. Chicken promotes cardiovascular health. Eating lean chicken breast controls and suppresses levels of an amino acid called homocysteine that can cause cardiovascular disease if levels are in the body are too high—eating it is a perfect way to attain better health through nutrition.
3. It’s a natural mood booster. Remember how comforting a bowl of chicken soup was when you were sick as a child? Like its cousin, turkey, chicken is rich in tryptophan, an amino acid that boosts serotonin levels in your brain and therefore boosts your mood, reduces stress and helps you get a good night’s sleep.
4. Chicken is packed with minerals. Chicken is a great source of phosphorus, an essential mineral that promotes healthy teeth and bones, and supports liver, kidney and central nervous system function. In addition, it’s loaded with selenium, which supports a healthy metabolism, specifically hormone, thyroid and immune function. Chicken also provides iron, zinc, copper and magnesium.
5. Chicken aids weight loss. Chicken is also an excellent source of vitamin B6, which promotes enzymes and metabolic cellular reactions that keeps your energy levels high and metabolism burning calories so you can manage a healthy weight and activity level. Plus, it’s low in fat and calories.