Whether you’re following one of the diets or weight management programs that are popular in the weight loss world or are trying to maintain the results you’ve already attained, eating the right foods can make the difference in your efforts. Luckily, much research shows that certain foods can actually burn fat and increase your caloric burn.
Some of these foods can boost your metabolism and even burn calories as they are digested. Here are a few that our medical weight loss doctor give a big thumbs-up.
1. Lemons. Citrus such as lemons that are rich in vitamin C will help your body metabolize fat faster and burn more calories overall. Lemons also alkalize your body and boost immunity, while working to slow down the digestion of starches and helping to regulate blood sugar levels. Squeeze some into your water and tea, put slices to your salad and add to your favorite recipes.
2. Grapefruit. One eight ounce serving of grapefruit offers more than 100 percent of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C. Research conducted by both Scripps Clinic and Vanderbilt University showed that there is a unique chemical reaction tied to grapefruit consumption that helps to reduce insulin levels and boost weight loss efforts. In addition, grapefruit is an excellent source of folate and thiamine, which plays a major role in the metabolism of glucose.
3. Berries. Packed with fiber and beneficial antioxidants, berries are ideal for weight management programs as they satisfy a sweet tooth and fill you up. The darker the berry, the more loaded with antioxidants—but they’re all good for you. Choose from blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and cranberries for the highest fiber content.
4. Fish. Rich on omega-3 fatty acids, fish such as tuna, salmon, trout, mackerel and sardines will fill you up and yield a bevy of health benefits. Their healthy fat content has been shown to affect levels of the hormone leptin, which has a direct impact on metabolism, and boost the amount of fat burning enzymes in the body.
5. Lean Protein. This category is essential for weight loss, as it helps us maintain and increase lean muscle mass as we diet, which helps keep our metabolism revved. Some excellent choices include lean poultry, grass-fed beef, eggs and tofu.
Click through to learn the benefits of working with a weight loss doctor.