It’s Healthy Weight Week—and if you skipped making resolutions this year, this is a great time to make some upgrades or even overhaul your lifestyle so you can achieve a healthy weight. Celebrate this week with us by instilling some new habits and making some manageable changes recommended by our medical weight loss physician.
Research shows that forming new habits takes at least 21 days, so if you worry about staying motivated for that long, try making one or two changes at a time. Here are some excellent behaviors to implement in honor of Healthy Weight Week, especially if you’re following one of our weight loss management programs.
1. Devise a meal plan. Create a weekly menu that includes all the meals and snacks you will eat from day to day. Leave some room for variation—for example, have a salad for lunch every day with different sources of lean protein, such as chicken, salmon or sliced hard boiled eggs. Specify each snack, as research show that when you have too many options, chances are you’ll consume more.
2. Be prepared. Make sure to have nutritious snacks on hand to help keep hunger at bay, especially when you have a busy day scheduled or need to be on the go. This will help prevent the urge to hit the vending machines or the fast-food drive thru.
3. Get adequate sleep. On average, we need between seven to eight hours of sleep each night for our systems to function optimally. Sleep is critical for preventing a sluggish metabolism, maintaining energy levels and building a strong immune system.
4. Be consistent. Make an effort to make healthy choices on a consistent basis. Eat at the same times every day, develop a regular workout schedule and devise a meal plan that includes lean protein, vegetables and other nutrient-rich food on a daily basis.
5. Check in regularly. Step on the scale on a regular basis, even if it’s just once a week, to make sure you’re staying on track. Accountability is very important for a healthy lifestyle.
Click this link to learn more about our medical weight loss physician.